Gift this class
Italic Calligraphy Course 6 x Wednesday Evenings
Italic – From a formal hand to contemporary variations for All Levels
Introduction to the Italic Hand. Learn an elegant, formal Italic hand using the historic Cataneo Manuscript as a model. Create your own personal script style. Lessons are based on exemplars written by Bernadino Cataneo from a Copy Book which was printed about 1545AD. This austere hand known also as Chancery Cursive, is the model for the Italic hand in use today. Learning from historic forms will serve as a springboard for an exploration of modernised letter forms and expressive scripts.
Students will first learn the minuscules or small letters and how to develop consistent letter shapes and word flow. From there you will learn how to form the capital letters (Majuscules) based on Roman Capitals. Then how to capture rhythm and energy through the addition of flourishes. How to mix and use colour, variations in size and style to enhance your layouts. Students will be introduced to many varied materials such as inks, gouache, nibs, special papers and techniques to use them successfully. Step-by-Step techniques will be taught on how to make an interesting composition. Learn create small artwork projects.
Four or six weeks of one day themed workshops. Each lesson includes extra pen skills, a layout technique and a mini project.
Students may choose to attend parts of the course if they have established italic skills.
Themes for each workshop are:
- Italic script lowercase, establish all strokes, form & shape
- Develop regular letter and word spacing, how to rule up lines and experiment with line spacing.
- Italic Capitals - Two variations of caps. How energise capitals through the addition of swashes and flourishing.
- Contemporary italic variations. Create compressed & stretched forms. How to make a simple layout.
- Using contrasts: colour, size, weight & style variation and combining them to enhance a simple layout.
- Create textures, changes to slope and letter widths and heights. Make a more interesting composition.
Students with Italic Experience may join the course to expand your current lettering skills. Launch yourself into an exploration of modernised letter forms and expressive scripts.
Wed 25th Oct to 29th Nov 2017 6.00 pm - 9.00pm $320.00 6 x 3 hrs
- Classic formal italic – establishing the foundations of italic script.
- Step-by-Step techniques will be taught on how to make an interesting composition and create finished projects.
- Learn Italic variations – compression, expansion. How to add swashes and draw flourishes as separate designs.
- Booklet containing a comprehensive set of notes & instructions
- Each one-day workshop is themed, each lesson covering a specific topic aimed to build your skills
- Full course students all receive a starter kit PLUS extra nib to keep. PLUS colours & tools & much more to use during the course. Value $60.00
- Full course students all receive Individual On-line feedback between classes
- Italic workshops have 6 themed Lessons and a mini project
- Loads of individual student attention
- Access to a large reference library for inspiration and ideas
- Light refreshments - drinks, tea and chai and snacks
- One-Day students receive starter kit with all the supplies you'll need for the day, this is to keep. Value $30.00
- Your enthusiasm to learn!
- Experienced students please bring your usual calligraphy kit, including extras you know and use.
- A note book for extra incidental tips and techniques
- A list of simple materials listed available on enrolment
Casual (This might get messy)
For enthusiastic admirers of beautiful letters, beginners and experienced calligraphers of pen and brush, tattoo artists etc.